6.06.2009

Reducing Waste



So now that I am a "SAHM" I have been doing tons of reading on how to live simply, invest in my home, use resources wisely and give generously. It's like a whole new world has opened up for me and I am enjoying the time that I do have to practice being the wife and mom that God has called me to be. One of the areas that I have been more intentional about is recycling. I desire to be a good steward with our resources, including the world around me. So one of my "baby steps" is to reduce waste by recycling everything possible around our home. I have also commited to reducing our plastic grocery bag consumption by bringing my own bags when I shop! Above is a picture of one of my "zero plastic bag" shopping trips. I know it's simple and kind of lame, but I was super proud of myself and had to take a picture!
I hope to document more of my living simply discoveries as I continue to learn. This week I am reading about all the benefits and uses of vinegar around the home. We'll see where that leads me!
**Thanks Carol for the purple shopping bag...super handy when it comes to grocery shopping! :)

3 comments:

mamajoyCarol said...

Hi Joy! Wonderful pictures of our little girl!
The sign...
so funny!
I can't believe she's so upright!
(Oh that's a funny pun!...of course she's upright living in your family! tee hee!)
I am so proud of you using the purple bag!!! I find that it's the one I always have handy as it clips onto my backpack purse!

Elizabeth said...

Im with you Joy. We do lots of little things to reduce our waste as well. I try to use as few bags as possible and bring my trader joes canvases everywhere. I hate plastic bags!!! A huge thing for us too has been water bottle consumption... so now we use the brita and try to use our bottles from home when possible. I'd love to hear more of what you are doing....

Thomas Family said...

I attended a purse party the other night and I picked up some reusable shopping bags as well! Totally cute too. Looks like a fashionable shoulder bag. I was in WalMart buying Alannas party supplies and the cashier said "Now, where did you get THAT cute bag?" Awesome! Less is more these days!